#23/23 Maine Football Hosts #24/25 Delaware in CAA Home Opener Showdown
ORONO, Maine -- The University of Maine football team (4-1, 1-0 CAA) looks to move to 2-0 both in the CAA and at home as it welcomes Delaware (4-1, 1-0 CAA) to Alfond Stadium Saturday at 3:30 PM.
- Maine last started 2-0 in league play in 2011, defeating Delaware 31-17 for its second league win of the year. Maine will be looking to start the season with at least five wins in its first six games for the third time since 2002 and the second time in three years.
- Delaware owns the career-series against Maine 23-9 but the Black Bears have won two-straight against the Blue Hens. The series has been tight as of late as Maine is 5-5 in its last 10 against Delaware. Maine won last season's game 26-3 at Delaware in which Wasilewski threw for 176-yards and three touchdowns.
- The Black Bears are coming off a thrilling 28-21 win at Richmond. In the game, Nigel Jones rushed for 115-yards and a pair of scores while adding one receiving touchdown. Maine went over the 400-yard (415-yards) mark for the third time this season. The game was the first win for Maine over a ranked opponent since defeating #15 Delaware in 2012.
- Marcus Wasilewski threw for 293-yards and a pair of touchdowns in the win. After his performance at Richmond, Wasilewski now ranks eighth all-time at Maine in passing yards (3,644)
- The Black Bear defense held Richmond to just 65-yards rushing and are giving up 136.8-yards on the ground after five games thus far.
- With a sack at Richmond, Michael Cole needs just 3.5 more sacks to tie Mike Denino's all-time sacks record of 27.5.
- Last time out, Delaware erased a 13-point deficit to defeat James Madison 29-22. Tight End Nick Boyle paced the offense with a pair of second half scores.
When: Saturday, Oct. 5
Where: Orono, Maine
Stadium (Capacity): Alfond Stadium (10,000)
Surface: Field Turf
Kickoff: 3:37 PM
Series Record: Delaware leads 23-9
Current Winning Streak: Maine 2
TOP 25 RANKINGS (FATHEAD.COM-SPORTS NETWORK/FCS COACHES)
Maine: Jack Cosgrove (Maine '78)
Career Record (Seasons): 115-119 (21st Season)
vs. Delaware: 6-8
Delaware: Dave Brock (Salisbury State '94)
Career Record (Seasons): 4-1 (1st season)
vs. Maine: 0-0
The home games will be broadcast live on GoBlackBears.com (.) Click on the "Audio & Video" tab near the bottom of the home page for instructions on how to watch live over the internet.
The game will be broadcast throughout the state of Maine on the Black Bear Sports Network. Rich Kimball (play-by-play), Bob Lucy (color) and Brittany Devane (sideline) will handle the call of the game. Kimball and Lucy are in their 17th season of calling Black Bear football, and Saturday's game will be the 190th Black Bear football game for the duo.
Augusta WVQM-FM 101.3
Bangor WVOM-FM 103.9
Millinocket WSYY-AM 1240
Portland WLOB-AM 1310
Portland WRED-AM 1440
Rockland WVOM-AM 1450
The game can be heard live over the internet at www.GoBlackBears.com(.) Click on the "Audio & Video Tab" near the bottom of the home page to find a complete schedule of upcoming broadcasts for Black Bear football games. Live, in-game stats will also be provided at www.GoBlackBears.com(.)
Follow Black Bears football on Twitter for up-to-date and game updates, recaps, photos, videos and all information on Maine Black Bear football.